Wednesday 12 February 2014

Badgers and the Playing Fields of Eton

The Duke of Wellington once famously said, “The Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.”  A lot of water has gone under the bridge since that phrase was first coined.
When I see our Ministers, Lord Smith and even the Prime Minister trudging around in wellington boots and pictures of the afore mentioned playing fields of Eton now a foot deep under water the old phrase of the Duke’s comes back to haunt in quite an astonishing way. 
The Country is being governed by the good old Etonians whose experience in day to day management of large scale enterprises, in particular, the Environment Agency, is showing us all the stark flaws in their colander-like management skills.  But to be fair, the last government did no better. 
As I sit and watch the badgers around the badger sett, a Munkjack hurries by followed by another three.  They know there is a big storm imminent.  The badgers put their heads into the air trying to gauge the time of the storm strike and its severity.  As I watch their behaviour from amongst the beech trees I come to realise the most prudent course of action for me is to withdraw myself from the woodland as it has got clearly very unsafe. 

I thought to myself and I could almost hear, Wellington turning in his grave as the howling, menacing wind roared through the trees filled the woodland with the provoking thought, “Our British Badgers have been lost on the playing fields of Eton.”




Badger turning his head to the oncoming wind trying to gauge the ferocity of the storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment